- Posts: 14
- Thank you received: 2
×
Our Imperial Age members can post any AOE2 questions that they have here.
1400 objective achieved! but struggling vs Ethiopians
6 years 1 week ago #81
by Scrum
1400 objective achieved! but struggling vs Ethiopians was created by Scrum
Hey Jupe/AOEbuilds guys,
Thanks for your responses on prior threads I have opened. I achieved my AOE goal for September in getting to 1400 Elo. Various things I changed that I think were critical:
1) I would always default to 3 TC boom when getting to castle age. The recommendation to get faster ballistics has come a long way in helping me keep the advantage or successfully defend.
2) Cleaning up my M@A into archers build and focusing on getting with my M@A earlier into opponent base.
3) The recommendation to defend with siege while attacking with army as you pointed out in one of my recs. I often catch my opponent off guard as his army tries to do damage.
There is still a lot of work to do regarding mechanics and strategy. I get housed a lot, particularly in feudal age. Also, archer civs, particularly Ethiopians beat me consistently (I am playing 95% Vikings). Late game is also shaky and many times I lose a large advantage to Cavaliers.
I will review the M@A into skirmishers video you uploaded as when I try this against archer civs, my production is low and I often take a long time to get to Castle Age. Generally speaking, these are the questions I currently have:
1) How do you address better archer civs with Vikings? Should I go Skirms into Knights with Vikings?
2) Any tips or best practices on avoiding getting housed?
3) Can one afford ballistics and mangonel early castle or is it one or the other?
Here is a rec against Ethiopians if you get a change to take a look: www.dropbox.com/s/sd5rzecrv4dv8k7/Vs%20E...ians.aoe2record?dl=0
I think I lost mainly because I forgot to keep production going, which lead to a huge army count difference and that was game. The opponent had better mechanics. Also, I am not very comfortable playing M@A into skirmishers yet. Please let me know what your thoughts are, if you get a chance.
Thanks!
Thanks for your responses on prior threads I have opened. I achieved my AOE goal for September in getting to 1400 Elo. Various things I changed that I think were critical:
1) I would always default to 3 TC boom when getting to castle age. The recommendation to get faster ballistics has come a long way in helping me keep the advantage or successfully defend.
2) Cleaning up my M@A into archers build and focusing on getting with my M@A earlier into opponent base.
3) The recommendation to defend with siege while attacking with army as you pointed out in one of my recs. I often catch my opponent off guard as his army tries to do damage.
There is still a lot of work to do regarding mechanics and strategy. I get housed a lot, particularly in feudal age. Also, archer civs, particularly Ethiopians beat me consistently (I am playing 95% Vikings). Late game is also shaky and many times I lose a large advantage to Cavaliers.
I will review the M@A into skirmishers video you uploaded as when I try this against archer civs, my production is low and I often take a long time to get to Castle Age. Generally speaking, these are the questions I currently have:
1) How do you address better archer civs with Vikings? Should I go Skirms into Knights with Vikings?
2) Any tips or best practices on avoiding getting housed?
3) Can one afford ballistics and mangonel early castle or is it one or the other?
Here is a rec against Ethiopians if you get a change to take a look: www.dropbox.com/s/sd5rzecrv4dv8k7/Vs%20E...ians.aoe2record?dl=0
I think I lost mainly because I forgot to keep production going, which lead to a huge army count difference and that was game. The opponent had better mechanics. Also, I am not very comfortable playing M@A into skirmishers yet. Please let me know what your thoughts are, if you get a chance.
Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brandonriordan2007, pabloopensthemoon
Please Log in to join the conversation.
6 years 1 week ago #83
by Jupe
Replied by Jupe on topic 1400 objective achieved! but struggling vs Ethiopians
Hey Scrum.
It's great to hear that you have made such big improvements with us.
1. I don't think the match up is at all bad for you. You have the better economy and the ethiopian bonus after all isn't extremely OP and neither are their economy. While viking economy might just be the best in the game. So while you need to be aware of the civ bonuses, don't bee too scared and get completely passive because of them.
2. This for sure is a tough one - usually you just need a guy to build part of your wall with houses early feudal age. The problem with building too many houses early however, is the fact that if you use 150-200 extra wood on population you don't yet need it can hurt your economy slightly. One good way is to use the barrack builder to do 2 houses after, then you can use it for the range once you are in feudal, and again houses after the range(s).
3. This depends on few factors - how fast you get to castle age and how well your eco has been working (if you get raided for example, or just mess up eco on your own)i would however only recommend this if you are going either extremely aggressive with forward siege (knowing you have the pressure already, then it makes very good sense) or if you are going aggressive but think your enemy will be coming to your base with his xbow, sort of a base trade situation then. However sometimes getting the defensive tc might be better idea.
On your rec:
I feel if you have the necessary food eco (about 6 farmers total) and got the upgrades, man at arms and bit axe, don't hesitate to try and get the range up ASAP. Quite often as in your recording, if you send the first 1 archer quickly when your enemy just quick walls against your men at arms, you will get the fast archer to force your enemy running away from his mining camp/lumber camp/berries.
In this case tough you should be a bit more aware of your enemies other resources, you were free to roam to either of his wood lines after he already walled his gold mine. This will give really nice pressure especially on these situations where you both go man at arms into each others base. Then you also have the option for quick defensive archer to push him away at your base.
Remember to use shift que while eating 2nd boar to the sheep. Will help your early feudal food count. Also your ranges were quite a bit idle, especially late feudal (maybe you wanted to stop because switching to knights? but this doesn't make sense when you want to upgrade to elite skirm) anyway i would suggest to go skimr+arhcer (then upgrade both to xbow and elite skirm) or alternatively to just full skirms, which means you get nice spike early castle but need to be aware of knight switch from enemy, then you either try already to go for xbow mix, or get monks, or do knight switch.
Another option would be this vimeo.com/457260791
Now talking abit about castle age. With that kind of hill infront of your base you need to try to invest full castle age to gain back to map controll. Once your enemy gets castle there it becomes extremly hard for you to make a comeback from that position.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Jupe
It's great to hear that you have made such big improvements with us.
1. I don't think the match up is at all bad for you. You have the better economy and the ethiopian bonus after all isn't extremely OP and neither are their economy. While viking economy might just be the best in the game. So while you need to be aware of the civ bonuses, don't bee too scared and get completely passive because of them.
2. This for sure is a tough one - usually you just need a guy to build part of your wall with houses early feudal age. The problem with building too many houses early however, is the fact that if you use 150-200 extra wood on population you don't yet need it can hurt your economy slightly. One good way is to use the barrack builder to do 2 houses after, then you can use it for the range once you are in feudal, and again houses after the range(s).
3. This depends on few factors - how fast you get to castle age and how well your eco has been working (if you get raided for example, or just mess up eco on your own)i would however only recommend this if you are going either extremely aggressive with forward siege (knowing you have the pressure already, then it makes very good sense) or if you are going aggressive but think your enemy will be coming to your base with his xbow, sort of a base trade situation then. However sometimes getting the defensive tc might be better idea.
On your rec:
I feel if you have the necessary food eco (about 6 farmers total) and got the upgrades, man at arms and bit axe, don't hesitate to try and get the range up ASAP. Quite often as in your recording, if you send the first 1 archer quickly when your enemy just quick walls against your men at arms, you will get the fast archer to force your enemy running away from his mining camp/lumber camp/berries.
In this case tough you should be a bit more aware of your enemies other resources, you were free to roam to either of his wood lines after he already walled his gold mine. This will give really nice pressure especially on these situations where you both go man at arms into each others base. Then you also have the option for quick defensive archer to push him away at your base.
Remember to use shift que while eating 2nd boar to the sheep. Will help your early feudal food count. Also your ranges were quite a bit idle, especially late feudal (maybe you wanted to stop because switching to knights? but this doesn't make sense when you want to upgrade to elite skirm) anyway i would suggest to go skimr+arhcer (then upgrade both to xbow and elite skirm) or alternatively to just full skirms, which means you get nice spike early castle but need to be aware of knight switch from enemy, then you either try already to go for xbow mix, or get monks, or do knight switch.
Another option would be this vimeo.com/457260791
Now talking abit about castle age. With that kind of hill infront of your base you need to try to invest full castle age to gain back to map controll. Once your enemy gets castle there it becomes extremly hard for you to make a comeback from that position.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Jupe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scrum
Please Log in to join the conversation.
6 years 6 days ago #92
by Jupe
Replied by Jupe on topic 1400 objective achieved! but struggling vs Ethiopians
There is now a class under ”strategy” for men at arms which would be helpfull to check out for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scrum, Brandonriordan2007
Please Log in to join the conversation.
5 years 11 months ago #104
by Scrum
Replied by Scrum on topic 1400 objective achieved! but struggling vs Ethiopians
Hi Jupe,
Where can I find the video you loaded here?
vimeo.com/457260791
Is it on the courses already? It is the one where you do the knights add to your archer army and pressure before adding TCs.
Where can I find the video you loaded here?
vimeo.com/457260791
Is it on the courses already? It is the one where you do the knights add to your archer army and pressure before adding TCs.
Please Log in to join the conversation.
5 years 11 months ago #106
by Scrum
Replied by Scrum on topic 1400 objective achieved! but struggling vs Ethiopians
Thanks Jupe!
I have had good success with this lately. On even games, I catch the opponent off guard with the knights, especially if they went for skirms to counter my archers in feudal.
In games where I have a disadvantage, it allows me to contest map control.
In games where I am winning, this provides the finishing blow.
Given this, I wonder, when it is better to go Archers with ballistics over this?
I have had good success with this lately. On even games, I catch the opponent off guard with the knights, especially if they went for skirms to counter my archers in feudal.
In games where I have a disadvantage, it allows me to contest map control.
In games where I am winning, this provides the finishing blow.
Given this, I wonder, when it is better to go Archers with ballistics over this?
Please Log in to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
